Skip to main content

Purdue Auto Club scrapbook

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MSP 178

Scope and Contents

The Purdue Auto Club scrapbook (1973-1979; 0.06 cubic feet) documents the activities of the club including call-outs, officers, members, “point standings,” rally and slalom events, and event and club memorabilia. The scrapbook contains the club’s newsletter, “The Front Line,” which also provides details of the club’s activities.  Types of materials included in the scrapbook are: by-laws, constitution, flyers, event memorabilia, newsletters, press releases, and records.

Dates

  • 1973-1979

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Purdue University

Biographical / Historical

History of the Purdue Auto Club

The constitution of the Purdue Auto Club (PAC) was approved by the Dean of Students Office in October of 1979. The Club was in existence before this time, but the Dean of Students Office fully recognized the club and entitled it to all of the rights and privileges of campus organizations at this time.

As stated in the constitution, “The general purpose of the Club shall be to encourage the preservation, ownership, and operation of cars; to establish rules and regulations covering all activities of the Club; to provide and regulate events and exhibitions for cars and their owners; to encourage safe and skillful driving on public highways; and to own real and personal property as incidental to the foregoing purposes.”

One of the activities of the Club in the early years was the sponsorship of the Purdue Grand Prix. The race needed a student organization to sponsor it, and beginning in 1958, the Purdue Auto Club was the original sponsor and governing body of the Purdue Grand Prix. However, upon the disbandment of the Purdue Auto Club, the longevity of the Grand Prix race was threatened. The student body wanted the Grand Prix to continue and so it was decided that a new organization needed to be formed to manage the race. The final draft of the Grand Prix Foundation's constitution was approved on November 9, 1965 and the Grand Prix Foundation has been the sanctioning body of the race since.

Per details in the scrapbook detailing the Club’s activities, The Purdue Auto Club also sponsored running events for cars, not necessarily sports cars or fast cars. Events held were “Gymkhanas” (slalom), Rallies and Auto shows for skill and fun. Little information is available about the Club beyond the 1970s.

Source(s):

Purdue Auto Club scrapbook, 1973-1979

Purdue Today. “Did You Know:? Purdue Grand Prix.” 19 April 2013. Web. 16 Oct. 2014. /www.purdue.edu/newsroom/purduetoday/didyouknow/2013/Q2/did-you-know-purdue-grand-prix.html>

Miller, Larry. “A History of the Purdue Grand Prix Or, What Was I Thinking?” The Pur-Du, Purdue Chapter, Delta Upsilon Fraternity, Apr. 2007: 6. Web. 16 Oct. 2014. /web.ics.purdue.edu/~du/April.pdf>

Extent

0.60 Cubic Feet

1.00 flat_box

Abstract

A scrapbook containing by-laws, constitution, flyers, event memorabilia, press releases and records documenting the activities of the Purdue Auto Club during the 1970s.

Source of Acquisition

Legacy items; donors various and unknown.

Existence and Location of Originals

multi-part note content

Related Materials

David Fuhrman's collection of Purdue Grand Prix films:

http://www4.lib.purdue.edu/archon/?p=collections/findingaid&id=1509&q=

Processing Information

The scrapbook has been placed in an acid free box. Due to the wide variety of materials used in the composition of the scrapbook, there are some instances of acidification and other deterioration.  However, removing these items would severely reduce the research value of the records and jeopardize original order.  As a result, pages displaying discoloration or other signs of deterioration have been interleaved with acid free paper. Original order has been retained.
Title
Purdue Auto Club scrapbook
Author
Mary A. Sego
Date
07/03/2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Purdue University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
504 W. State Street
West Lafayette Indiana 47907 United States
765-494-2839