Skip to main content

Purdue Alumni Association records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 182

Scope and Contents

The Purdue Alumni Association records contains records from the Alumni Association from 1907 to 2008. The bulk of the collection is correspondence pertaining to membership, bylaw changes, publications, and alumni events. Of particular interest is correspondence between the Alumni Association and the Curtiss Exhibition Company of the Curtiss Areophane Company about the possibility of another exhibition at Purdue, stating that “due to recent improvements in their machine that their aviators are now doing stunts that were considered impossible last year”. In a return letter by the president of the alumni association, the president declined the offer stating that he did not believe the alumni cared to engage in another exhibition for the reason that the novelty has somewhat worn off. The collection also contains a variety of records including financial, events, and membership drives. One box contains a mixture of various publications by Purdue including the Purdue Alumnus, athletic programs, Purdue Engineer, and others. There is also some memorial booklets for class reunions and historical works. The collection is entirely textual with the exception of a fold-out booklet from 1915 with photos of various buildings on campus.

Dates

  • 1907 - 2008

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection material is in English.

Access Information

Collection is open for research.

Copyright and Use Information

Copyright held by Purdue University.

Historical Information

The Purdue Alumni is an independently financed, nonprofit alumni organization. Through the support of dues-paying members worldwide, it offers its services to all alumni, as well as funding for programs, services, and scholarships offered by the alumni association and alumni clubs and groups. Founded in 1878 as "The General Alumni Association" the association’s purpose was to allow graduates to keep in touch with one another and served as the first entity on campus that communicated to alumni. Satellite clubs were formed in other parts of the country with Chicago and Indianapolis being the first in 1890. In 1912, The Purdue Bulletin became the first publication produced by the association. It became a quarterly publication in 1914 and was renamed the Purdue Alumnus. In 1927, a state statute was enacted which increased the alumni-elected trustees to the Purdue University Board of Trustees from one to three. Until that time, George Ade was the sole alumni trustee. In 2004, The Alumni Association moves to the Dick and Sandy Dauch Alumni Center on the south side of campus.

Purdue Alumni Association History - https://www.purduealumni.org/about

Extent

2.23 Cubic Feet (Four legal sized manuscript boxes and 1 oversized folder in a communal collections box.)

Acquisition Information

Transfer from the Alunmi Association Office via Kelly Hiller, on August 19th, 2016.

Processing Information

The original order of the materials has been retained whenever possible. All materials have been housed in acid-free folders and acid-free boxes. Brittle paper has been placed in protective sleaves.
Title
Purdue Alumni Association records
Status
Completed
Author
Aarthi Devarajan and Richard Bernier
Date
2020-02-11
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Edition statement
Second edition.

Repository Details

Part of the Purdue University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
504 W. State Street
West Lafayette Indiana 47907 United States
765-494-2839