Memorial Gymnasium records
Collection — Box: Communal Collections 61, Placement: 02
Identifier: UA 133
Scope and Contents
The Memorial Gymnasium records contain receipts from the donations given to the University for the construction of the building. Building dedication information as well as the memorial service programs for those that lost their lives in the Purdue train wreck are also included.
- 1903 - 1935
- Purdue University (Organization)
Languages of Materials
Collection material is in English.
The collection is open for research.
Copyright and Use Information
Portions of material in this collection are in the public domain. Other material copyrights held by Purdue University or original creator. Consult with Purdue University Archives and Special Collections prior to reproduction of materials.
The Memorial Gymnasium was built as a memorial for the seventeen people killed in the Purdue train wreck on October 31, 1903. The gymnasium consisted of a basketball court, cork-linoleum indoor track, gymnasium apparatuses, a swimming pool, 35 adjoined shower-baths, and 1800 lockers. The building was converted to the Computer Science building in 1985. It was renamed Felix Haas Hall on December 1, 2006, after the former Head of the Division of Mathematical Sciences, Dean of the School of Science, and University Provost Felix Haas.
0.150 Cubic Feet (Six folders)
Source and date of acquisition are unknown.
All materials have been housed in acid-free folders.
- Memorial Gymnasium records
- Jon Hathaway
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- First edition.
- 2020-05-19: Collection description updated by Adelle Rogers.