Richard Benbridge Wetherill Laboratory of Chemistry (West Lafayette, Ind.)
- Existence: 1930-
The first unit of a new Chemistry Building was built in 1930. The university needed more space for chemistry students and engineering students who needed to be instructed in chemistry. During World War II, the Chemistry Building was involved in research for the Manhattan Project, including work dealing with the recovery of uranium and preparation of fluorocarbons needed at Oak Ridge. A 3-part addition was started in 1950 and the Herbert C. Brown Laboratory of Chemistry building was added to the east of this building in 1970. From 1986-1990 the west wing of the building was renovated.
CitationRichard Benbridge Wetherill Laboratory of Chemistry. Purdue Campus Facilities and Buildings Historic Database. Access September 16, 2019. http://collections.lib.purdue.edu/campus/buildings/88
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Collection — Box: Communal Collections 62, Placement: 02
Identifier: UA 142
Scope and Contents The Campus Art Survey records contain reports and inventories of the various paintings and works of art that were present on campus. The reports include the locations of the works of art at that time.
Dates: 1938 - 1958
Collection — Box: Communal Collections 61, Placement: 05
Identifier: UA 136
Scope and Contents The Wetherill Laboratory of Chemistry records contain an information booklet that outlines staff of the Department of Chemistry at the time, their publications, building information, and the dedication ceremony for the new building.