Skip to main content

The Charles Pankow Foundation Collection on Charles Pankow

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSP 135
The Charles Pankow Foundation collection on Charles Pankow reflects the life of Charles J. Pankow and his contribution to the construction industry. It is a compilation of news articles on Pankow himself, the people associated with Pankow Companies and Pankow Foundation, papers, projects undertaken by Pankow Group of Companies. Information from the Purdue University Press, who published a book regarding the career of Mr. Pankow, is also included.

Dates

  • 1950-2010
  • Other: Majority of material found in 1975-2000
  • Other: Date acquired: 04/02/2014

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Purdue University per deed of gift; some newspaper articles are under copyright and may require copyright clearance.

Extent

2.45 Cubic Feet

1.00 mss._boxes

1.00 mss._boxes

1.00 mss._boxes

1.00 flat_box

1.00 shoe_boxes

39.25 Gigabytes

Abstract

The collection consists of materials on Charles J. Pankow, Pankow Foundation and Pankow Companies, as well as information about A Better Way to Build, a Purdue University Press publication.

Biographical or Historical Information

Charles J. Pankow (1923-2004) established his eponymous construction company in the belief that success in his industry could be achieved by deploying innovation construction and project delivery technologies that benefited his clients. The Charles Pankow Foundation, which Mr. Pankow founded in 2002, funded this oral history collection to document the professional achievements of the man and his firm. Born in South Bend, Indiana, Charlie-as he was known to his family, friends, and colleagues-Pankow matriculated at Purdue University in the fall of 1941. World War II interrupted his studies. A childhood bout with scarlet fever prevented him from serving in the army, but he was able to join the navy near the end of the war. He was stationed in Japan until 1946. A year later, he graduated from Purdue with a degree in civil engineering. He relocated to Southern California with his wife, Doris, and took a job with S. B. Barnes Associates, a Los Angeles structural engineering firm that Purdue University graduates Stephenson B. Barnes and Mark Deering had founded in 1934. Charlie Pankow had met Barnes while on naval leave. He worked for Barnes a little more than two years. He then worked for The Austin Company, an early design-build pioneer, for about a year. In 1951 Charlie Pankow joined Peter Kiewit Sons', one of the largest contractors in America. Notwithstanding the company's focus on the construction of dams, roads, and other large civil infrastructure projects, Pankow was able to carve out a niche in building concrete commercial structures. By 1957, he had convinced Peter Kiewit to establish a building division within the company's southwest district. For six years, he led a close-knit cadre of engineers and other field personnel, who together gained experience in slipforming and other concrete-forming technologies. They also developed their expertise in the practice of design-build, a project delivery approach wherein the design-builder, who is typically the general contractor, assumes responsibility for delivering a project at a price that is determined early in the process and accepts the financial risks associated with schedule and cost overruns. The design-builder works with the architect and structural engineer in planning and design to achieve "more economical and efficient construction," as Charlie Pankow explained. The professional frustrations of working within a corporate culture that valued heavy construction work (dams, roads, and the like) prompted Pankow to form Charles Pankow, Inc. (CPI), with three of his Kiewit colleagues in 1963. Almost all of his employees within the Arcadia, California, based building division followed him out of the company. Since 1963, Charles Pankow Builders, Ltd. (CPBL), as the company is now known, has constructed upwards of 200 apartment buildings, condominiums, hotels and resorts, office towers, regional shopping centers, and other commercial structures. Pankow Special Projects, Ltd. (PSPL), a subsidiary business, engages in tenant improvements, health care facility upgrades, seismic renovations, adaptive reuse of historically and architecturally significant structures, and other specialized products. Since its establishment in 1995, PSPL has completed more than 800 projects. Assembled within the new firm, Pankow and his colleagues innovated concrete forming technology and championed design-build. They strove to "automate" the job site through on-site precasting of structural and architectural concrete elements, slipforming or jumpforming of vertical building elements, and using fly forms to install horizontal building elements. Pankow's teams developed many innovations, often in collaboration with other members of the building team. They included: using the architectural "skin" of a structure to form exterior columns and beams; using superplasticisor admixtures in the casting of beams and girders; developing a portable casting beam bed; incorporating HVAC air shafts into the concrete core of the building; devising the means to construct a second story over an existing enclosed mall without requiring the shopping center to close for business; and, perhaps, most impressively, developing the precast hybrid moment resistant frame (PHMRF) that incorporates the advantages of precast concrete and provides a seismic framing system that outperforms structural steel. The PHMRF resulted from the joint efforts of CPBL, the University of Washington, structural engineers John A. Martin & Associates, and the U.S. Department of Commerce's National Institute for Standards and Technology. It has been deployed most conspicuously in the construction of the Paramount in San Francisco, the tallest precast concrete building on the West Coast upon its completion in 2001. Both CPI and CPBL distinguished themselves among contractors by self-performing concrete work to ensure high quality and timely construction. Doing so helped the Pankow companies to deliver projects on time and within the owner's budget almost without exception. Charlie Pankow was a leading member of many national associations and academies, and he received numerous awards and honors. In 1980 he served as president of the American Concrete Institute (ACI). Twenty-three years earlier, he had assisted in the formation of the Southern California Chapter-the first local ACI chapter in America. In 1970 he received a Distinguished Alumnus Award from his alma mater; in 1980, he received an honorary doctorate degree from the university. In 1990 the ACI awarded him its Henry C. Turner Award. In 1993 the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce conferred upon him its Industry Achievement Award. In 1997 he was elected into the National Academy of Engineering. In 2002 the American Society of Civil Engineer's gave him its OPAL (Outstanding Projects and Leaders) Award for Outstanding Lifetime Achievement in Construction. In 2003 the Design-Build Institute of America, which Charlie Pankow had helped to found a decade earlier, awarded him its Brunelleschi Medal for Lifetime Achievement. In 1999 Engineering News-Record recognized him as one of the top six builders of the prior half-century as part of the publication's 125th anniversary. Pankow was a noted speaker at state, regional, and national conventions and university conferences and symposia. He authored several articles in professional journals and, in his capacity as ACI president, the President's Memo in Concrete International, the journal of the ACI. Pankow also contributed chapters on tilt-up and precast construction in successive editions of Concrete Construction Handbook, edited by Joseph Waddell. Pankow became well-known as a connoisseur of the arts through his acquisition of a considerable collection of ancient Chinese, Egyptian, and Russian artifacts. Indeed, he amassed one of the largest private collections of Russian and Greek icons in America. Over the years, Charles Pankow and his estate have contributed generously to several educational institutions, most notably Purdue University, where two concrete laboratories bear his name. Source(s): Charles Pankow Foundation www.pankowfoundation.org http://collections.lib.purdue.edu/pankow

Note written by

Arrangement Note

The materials are organized into 18 series: 1. Charles Pankow Newsletters, 1983 - 2001 (0.10 Cubic Feet and 156MB).  Contains Charles Pankow Inc. newsletters arranged chronologically.    2.  Selected Projects (0.025 Cubic Feet). Contains photographic materials of selected projects at Hawaii. 3. Charles Pankow Lecture and Eulogies (0.025 Cubic Feet and 8.87MB). Contains transcripts of lectures given by Charles J. Pankow. 4.  Oral History Interviews (0.025 Cubic Feet and 38.2GB). Includes oral history recordings completed by Pankow biographer Michael Adamson on behalf of the Pankow Foundation for the Charles Pankow Legacy Project. Four recordings were completed on audio cassette while the remaining 33 interviews were digitally recorded.  Interview transcripts, with an index of all interviews, is also included.  Interviewee biographies and images also comprise this series. 5.  Charles J. Pankow (0.10 Cubic Feet).  Contains newspaper articles on Charles J. Pankow and his art collection. Details regarding his memberships, awards and honors. Also contains transcripts of testimonials.    6.  Charles Pankow Group (0.225 Cubic Feet and 4.72MB). Contains information on the Charles Pankow Company profile, its people, publications and selected projects. 7.  Architects/ Developers/ Estates (0.05 Cubic Feet). Contains newspaper articles on various Architects, Developers and Estates. 8.  Kiewitt, CPA, Early CPI Projects (0.10 Cubic Feet). Contains newspaper articles on Kiewitt, CPA and some of the early CPI Projects with photographs. 9.  CPI / CPBL Projects Since 1975 (0.25 Cubic Feet). Contains newspaper articles on CPI / CPBL Projects with photographs that were undertaken since 1975. 10.  ENR Top 400/ BD & C 300 (0.10 Cubic Feet). Contains articles on the contractor rankings associated with the project. 11.  ENR Construction Forecasts (0.10 Cubic Feet).  Contains articles on the ENR forecast reports. 12.  Construction Industry (0.225 Cubic Feet). Contains newspaper articles on various Architects, Developers and Estates. 13.  Urban Land (0.10 Cubic Feet). Contains news articles and reports on constructions in the urban area. 14.  Other Company Profiles (0.025 Cubic Feet). Contains newspaper articles on other companies. 15.  Photographs & Negatives (0.025 Cubic Feet). Contains photographs of Charles J. Pankow, his residence, and awards. 16.  Annual Meetings (0.025 Cubic Feet and 414MB). Contains a CD-R with the annual meetings. 17.  Awards, Memberships, and Ephemera (0.75 Cubic Feet). Contains Chi Epsilon Membership certificate, ACI Award for Distinguished Service, A framed Photograph of Charles J. Pankow.  Also includes a slide rule tie clip. 18. Purdue University Press and A Better Way to Build (513MB) Includes Purdue Press-obtained images and captions as well as other details regarding the publication of the Charles Pankow biography A Better Way to Build.

Source of Acquisition

Charles Pankow Foundation
Method of Acquisition Donation

Accruals and Additions

Further materials donated by Charles Pankow Foundation and Purdue University Press on: 20120815, 20120919, 20120928, 20121210

Existence and Location of Originals

multi-part note content

Related Materials

http://collections.lib.purdue.edu/pankow

Processing Information

All materials have been housed in polyester sleeves, acid-free folders, and acid-free boxes.  All newsprint has been photocopied and in most cases original newspaper clippings have been discarded. Photographs; and artifacts have been separated and grouped into individual series for preservation purposes. Files on digital mediums have been copied and placed onto preservation servers.
Title
The Charles Pankow Foundation Collection on Charles Pankow
Author
Vaishnavi Chandrasekaran
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 09099999: Revised in July 2015 to reflect digital components of collection.

Repository Details

Part of the Purdue University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
504 W. State Street
West Lafayette Indiana 47907 United States
765-494-2839