The Collection on the General Electric Company
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSP 186
Scope and Contents
The Collection on the General Electric Company documents important people, products, and electric phenomena related to the General Electric Company. It also shows notable members from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Noteworthy items in the collection include a lightning photograph from Lafayette, Indiana in 1938, a portrait of Thomas Alva Edison, and a portrait dedicated to former Purdue Engineering Dean A. A. Potter signed by former Director of General Electric’s Lightning Research Laboratory, Matthew Luckiesh. Types of materials include: photographs and newspaper clippings. Original order has been maintained except where materials have been rehoused for preservation purposes.
- circa 1890 - 1950
Language of Materials
Collection material is in English.
The collection is open for research.
Copyright and Use Information
Portions of material in this collection are in the public domain. Other material copyrights held by the original creator. Consult with Purdue University Archives and Special Collections prior to reproduction of materials.
General Electric Company was formed in 1892 as a manufacturer of various electric products. It also developed electricity-production equipment. General Electric, now known as GE, continues in developing electric inventions, focusing on, among other things, energy efficiency and medical science.
0.05 Cubic Feet (Two folders)
Source and date of acquisition are unknown.
Acid-free paper has been interleaved throughout the collection to protect materials from other acidic materials in the collection. Whenever possible, original order of the materials has been retained. Materials have been placed into acid-free folders and boxes.
- The Collection on the General Electric Company
- Michael Maune and Neal Harmeyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Edition statement
- Third edition. Collection description was first completed 2015-03-31.