Otis E. Griner papers
Collection — Box: Box 1
Identifier: MSA 129
The papers of Otis Edward Griner (1911-1916) include one photograph album and two folders. The majority of the album is composed of black and white photographs, a few cyanotypes, and a few newspaper clippings documenting Otis Griner's time as a student at Purdue University, 1911-1914. Included in the collection are a Purdue tank scrap marshal ribbon (1913), and photographs of a variety of local and Purdue events, such as automobile races, the mechanics burning tradition, the Purdue Circus, May Day festivities, the Canoe Club, Indianapolis 500 race (1913), various Purdue student stunts, Phi Si Rag-Time May Dancers, Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house and members, wrestling squad (1914), flooding in Lafayette (1913), and the Tippecanoe Battle Ground memorial, images from Happy Hollow, and the 1914 Mechanical Engineering group photograph. Newspaper clippings include Elmer Oliphant's last football game (1913), automobiles testing at Purdue (circa 1914), and a clipping on R.P. Laporte, captain of Purdue Cross Country Club. A 1915 Purdue Homecoming program is also included and a 1914 Gala Week program.
- Majority of material found in 1912-1914
- Other: Date acquired: 09/09/2008
- Griner, Otis Edward (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
0.20 Cubic Feet (1 half-width letter-size manuscript box)
The photo album is first in the box, followed by a folder of loose items from the album, and then a folder with the Gala Week program.
Physical Access Requirements
Handle photo album with care.
Remained in the Griner family until donated to the archives. Judith Pask is the granddaughter of Otis Griner.
Source of Acquisition
Reverend Wayne Pask and Judith Pask
Method of Acquisition Donation
- Black-and-white photographs
- Clippings (Information artifacts)
- Cyanotypes (photographic prints)
- Oliphant, Elmer Q. (Elmer Quillen), 1892-1975
- Photograph albums
- Programs (documents)
- Purdue University--Alumni and alumnae
- Purdue University--Buildings--Pictorial works
- Purdue University--Students--Social life and customs--20th century
- Sigma Phi Epsilon
- Otis E. Griner papers
- Sammie Morris
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- 09099999: Record revised 4/5/2013 EW