Purdue University Computer Science Center records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 173
The collection consists of newsletters (1966-1995), technical papers and manuscripts (1978-1989) and magazines (1955-1967) of the Purdue Computer Sciences Center.
- Other: 1955 - 1995
- Other: Majority of material found within 1966 - 1995
Language of Materials
The entire collection is in English.
The collection is open for research.
1.54 Cubic Feet (Collection is housed in 1 cubic foot box and 2 manuscript boxes. (1.54 cu ft))
Records documenting information and activities of the Purdue Computer Science Center, in order to guide students or anyone who is interested in Computing.
In 1959, an ad hoc committee on computing was created at Purdue. This committe then went on to submit a proposal to President Hovde, recommending the creation of a Computer Science Center which would be responsible for both research computing and computer science education. The proposal states that there would be "a strong professional group in numerical analysis and applied mathematics", "a similar group in mathematical logic and advanced computing equipment" and "a graduate program in Computer Sciences". Hovde recognized the potential in the establishment of a University-oriented computing center to support Purdue's research and education programs. In order to address some conflicts that arose between departments, in 1962, the Division of Mathematical Sciences was organized into three academic departments: Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Sciences, plus a Center for Computing Services.
Source: Purdue University Department of Computer Science website: https://www.cs.purdue.edu/history/index.html. March 15, 2017.
The collection consists of three series. Materials have been arranged chronologically and the dates have been indicated. The collection starts with the bulk of newsletters published by the department.
The maincollection was donated by John Steele on November 11, 2013. Additions 1 was donated by Jessica Hollinger of the Computer Science Department, on May 15, 2014 and addition 2 was transferred from the Computer Science department by Randy Bond on August 30, 2015.
Whenever possible, the original order of the materials has been maintained. All materials have been housed in polyester sleeves, acid-free folders, and acid-free boxes.
- Purdue University Computer Science Center records, 1955 - 1995
- Aarthi Devarajan
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Edition statement
- First Edition.