Skip to main content

Purdue University Department of Computer Sciences Photograph Collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 34

Scope and Contents

The Computer Science Photographs Collection includes a variety of printed and digital photographs and video documenting the life of the Computer Science department at Purdue University. Frequent subjects include annual events such as awards dinners or special lectures, headshots of faculty, and students working on projects. The collection also includes a number of resources documenting the fundraising for and construction of the new Lawson Computer Science building, and videos featuring commemoration of the department’s fortieth anniversary. Some photo CDs include older photographs from the 1960s through the 1980s, but the bulk of the collection is devoted to 1995-2009.

Dates

  • 1960-2009
  • Other: Majority of material found in 1995-2009
  • Other: Date acquired: 05/05/2015

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection materials are in English.

Access Information

Collection is open for research.

Copyright and Use Information

Some material in this collection are in the public domain, while other material copyrights are held by Purdue University. Consult with Purdue University Archives and Special Collections prior to reproduction of materials.

Historical Information

Founded in 1962 as part of the Division of Mathematical Sciences, Purdue University’s Department of Computer Sciences was the first dedicated Computer Science department in the United States. Under the leadership of its founding chairman, Samuel Conte, the department granted its first PhD degrees in Computer Sciences in 1966, and constructed an undergraduate degree program in 1968. Its early home was the new Mathematical Sciences building that was completed in 1967. In the early 1980s, interest in Computer Science degrees among undergraduates across the nation grew substantially, a trend reflected in Purdue’s own student body. This growth, as well as the correlating faculty increase and equipment needs of the department, led to the renovation of the Memorial Gym building in 1985, which became the Computer Sciences building. Around the turn of the twenty-first century, continuing growth and space demands led to fundraising for the construction of a new building to house the department, the Richard and Patricia Lawson Computer Science Building. The Computer Sciences department moved into the Lawson Building in 2006.

Note written by Trevor Burrows

Extent

0.75 Cubic Feet

0.20 shoe_boxes

0.15 mss._boxes

0.40 mss._boxes

Abstract

The Computer Science Photographs Collection features printed and digital photographs and media that document faculty, students, and events in Purdue University’s Department of Computer Science from 1960-2009.

Arrangement

Collection materials are divided into series based on media type. Each series is arranged chronologically.

Acquistion Information

Transfer from the Department of Computer Science on May 5, 2015.

Related Materials

[url=https://apps.lib.purdue.edu/archon/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=1740]Samuel D. Conte papers, 1962-2002[/url] [url=https://apps.lib.purdue.edu/archon/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=1680]David Studebaker Computer Science papers, 1961-1966[/url]

Processing Information

Whenever possible, original order of the materials has been retained.  All materials have been housed in polyester sleeves, acid-free folders, and acid-free boxes. Any information from the original CD jewel cases has been preserved either by including the material in the collection or by reproducing relevant notes on the new CD sleeve.
Title
Purdue University Department of Computer Sciences Photograph Collection
Status
In Progress
Author
Trevor Burrows
Date
08/01/2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English
Edition statement
Second edition

Repository Details

Part of the Purdue University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
504 W. State Street
West Lafayette Indiana 47907 United States
765-494-2839