Skip to main content

Purdue Memorabilia and Photographs of the Hospitality and Tourism Department

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 82
The Purdue Memorabilia and Photographs of the Hospitality and Tourism Department (1890-1991; 4.8 cubic feet) documents general Purdue history and various Hospitality and Tourism Department events and activities. Photographs portray various student activities and campus scenes from the decades surrounding the turn of the twentieth century, originally on display in the HTM Café. Photographs also depict culinary events during the 1980s. Types of materials include: photographs and artifacts (object genre).

Dates

  • 1890 - 1991

Language of Materials

Collection material is in English.

Access Information

The collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright held by Purdue University.

Extent

4.8 Cubic Feet (The collection is housed in 1 cubic foot box, 1 letter-size full-width manuscript box, 1 letter size half-width manuscript box, and 8 various flat boxes.)

Abstract

Photographs and artifacts documenting Purdue history and Hospitality and Tourism Department events.

Historical Information

A top-ranked program in the field, Purdue’s School of Hospitality and Tourism Management has functioned under many names and institutional structures since related classes were first offered in the late nineteenth century. In 1887, the School of Science added a series of courses to the curriculum under the title of Domestic Economy. By 1905, the same school established a stand-alone Department of Household Economics, which among other things included courses on food and home management. In 1916, the Department of Household Economics organized what would be called the Institutional Management Program—the first time that phrase had been included in any degree-offering campus unit. By 1926, these programs split off as a stand-alone school under the title of the School of Home Economics, wherein Institutional Management became a central department. Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, various services and classes were added to the School’s primary function (including a “Tea Room” service in 1954, and the addition of merchandising, selling, and lodging courses to the curriculum in 1960). Due to this shift in focus and practice, as well as movements in various related professional fields, the School has been renamed several times since its inception in 1926. First renamed Restaurant, Hotel, and Institutional Management, or RHI (from 1973-1992), then Restaurant, Hotel, Institutional, & Tourism Management, or RHIT (from 1992-2000), and later the Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management, or HTM (from 2000-2011). It was at this point that the University approved a Ph.D. program in HTM. Finally, in 2011, the Department was renamed the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management, as it is known up until the time of this writing.
Sources:

“History,” Hospitality and Tourism Management, College of Health and Human Sciences, http://www.purdue.edu/hhs/htm/about/history.html. Accessed 16 Aug. 2017.

Acquisition Information

Records were transferred by the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management via Ayrielle Davis, June 18, 2014 and Rhonda Hostetter, June 16, 2017.

Related Materials

MSP 43, Collection of Purdue University Photographs, Purdue University Archives and Special Collections, Purdue University Libraries.

Processing Information

Whenever possible, original order of the materials has been retained. Materials have been housed in polyester sleeves, acid-free folders, and acid-free boxes.
Title
Purdue Memorabilia and Photographs of the Hospitality and Tourism Department
Status
completed
Author
Stephen Horrocks and Jennifer Sdunzik
Date
2018-03-20
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Edition statement
First edition.

Repository Details

Part of the Purdue University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
504 W. State Street
West Lafayette Indiana 47907 United States
765-494-2839