Eta Kappu Nu Beta Chapter records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 152
Scope and Contents
The Eta Kappa Nu Beta Chapter records (1894-2014) document more than a century of student life and activities of the honor society of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Purdue University. The collection consists of annual reports, meeting minutes, photographs, photo slides and negatives, as well as video cassettes. Of particular interest might be the sub-series of graduating class composites, which frequently identifies the graduating students. Printed photographs of the graduating classes exists from 1894 to 1957 and various 3x5 and 8 x10 negatives exist until 1982. The graphic materials in this collection capture many social events, including banquets, officer inductions, Halloween parties, Turkey Day, sports activities and student gatherings for more than three decades. Whereas the majority of individuals in the photographs, slides, and negatives are unidentified, some of the materials identify officers, students, and faculty, particularly from the years 1979 to mid-1990s. Some of the identified faculty members in the collection include Mark Lundstrom, Anthony Maciejewski, John Chiasson, Leslie Kolodziejski, José Fortes, Clarence Coates, Bernd Hoeffliner, Thomas Casavant, Owen Mitchell, Steven Bass, Vejko Milutinovic, Walter Weeks, David Garrod, Robert Mitchell, and Jorge Auñon. Former Purdue President Arthur Hansen and popcorn tycoon Orville Redenbachers are also sparsely featured in the collection. The collection may be useful for researchers interested in student and campus life (particularly from the 1970s to 1990s) as well as national honor society administrative and social activities. Types of materials: printed materials, photographs and photo CDs, floppy disks, slides, negatives, ledgers, transparencies, composites, storage master reel, etc.
- 1894 - 2014
- Majority of material found within 1978 - 1999
- Other: Records transferred: 3/29/2016
- Eta Kappa Nu. Beta Chapter (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Copyright and Use Information
Copyright held by Purdue University.
Eta Kappa Nu (HKN) is an Honor Society for students in Electrical and Computer Engineering. Founded in 1904 at the University of Illinois, the Beta Chapter at Purdue was formed in 1905. After initial administrative hurdles, the chapter became active in 1913 and has since been continually recognized as one of the best HKN chapters, as they have been awarded many chapter awards from the National Society. Eta Kappa Nu currently has thirteen committees, including outreach, accounting, news, and awards committees. It defines its purpose as creating better professionals and improving the standards of the profession. HKN Beta is best known at Purdue for the member staffed HKN Student Lounge. The chapter is actively involved in community service, runs a student lab space, and organizes recruiting and networking events. In 2017 Purdue’s chapter hosted the Eta Kappa Nu Student Leadership Conference. Additionally, the chapter organizes banquets, picnics, and sports activities for its students throughout the semester.
Source: Eta Kappa Nu website: https://engineering.purdue.edu/hkn/
7.2 Cubic Feet (5 cubic foot boxes, 2 large and two small shoe boxes, and two 2 flat boxes. )
Reports, minutes, photographs, composites, correspondence, certificates, slides, digital media documenting activities, student life, and faculty in the honor society of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Purdue University
The records are organized into three series:
- Records, 1913-2014 (3 cubic feet). This series contains but is not limited to annual reports, meeting minutes, by-laws, constitutions, newsletters, survival guides, clippings, correspondence regarding the Plasma Light Sculpture, officer descriptions, faculty lists, magazine, awards and certificates. Due to the extensive nature of the documents, HKN Records of the Secretary and Annual Reports have been arranged in separate sub-series. Materials in the series are arranged topically and chronologically.
- Visuals, 1894-2006 (2.8 cubic feet). This series consists of black-and-white photographs, color photographs, graduating class composites, slides, transparencies, negatives, and photo CDs. Highlights include the complete series of graduating class composites from 1894 to 1957 and slides documenting Barney the dino as pledge. Materials in the series are arranged chronologically and by format.
- Digital Media, 1983-1997 (1.4 cubic foot). This series consists of a master reel, floppy disks, CDs and VHS video cassettes capturing social events such as banquets and picnics in the late 1980s and 1990s as well as 12 homework set solutions for the class EE 266.
Technical Access Information
Contains electronic records that may need to be reformatted. Please contact Karnes Archives and Special Collections before requesting digital material.
This collection was transferred from the chapter by President Dennis Ogbe.
Whenever possible, original order of the materials has been retained. All materials have been housed in polyester sleeves, acid-free folders, and acid-free boxes. All newsprint has been photocopied and some clippings have been preserved for display purposes, with photocopies made available for research. Photographs have been removed from photo albums for preservation purposes. Photographs have been grouped in original order whenever possible.
- Annual reports
- Black-and-white photographs
- Electrical engineering
- Engineering students
- Eta Kappa Nu. Beta Chapter
- Floppy disks
- Hansen, Arthur G.
- Negatives (photographs)
- Optical disks
- Purdue University -- Students -- Social life and customs -- 20th Century
- Purdue University. Students. Social life and customs
- Redenbacher, Orville, 1907 - 1995
- Slides (Photography)
- Student activities -- United States
- Student organizations
- color photographs
- Eta Kappa Nu Beta Chapter records
- Eta Kappa Nu Beta Chapter records
- Jennifer Sdunzik
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Box: 1 (Text)
- Box: 2 (Text)
- Box: 3 (Text)
- Box: 4 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 5 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 6 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 7 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 8 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 9 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 10 (Moving Images)
- Box: 11 (Computer Disks)
- Digital Folder: UA00152 Eta Kappa Nu Beta Chapter records (Digital Files)