Dean of Students records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 29
Scope and Contents
The Dean of Students records documents the function and day-to-day duties of the Office of the Dean of Students through outgoing correspondence (Date Files), organizational and procedural documents, and other materials. Materials include both paper and electronic record, such as documents, slides, and audiocassettes.
- 1974 - 2000
- Purdue University. Office of the Dean of Students (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English.
Collection is open for research. Access to privileged student information, including grades, recommendations and discipline records contained in Series 2 is restricted until 70 years from their date of creation.
Copyright and Use Information
Copyright of materials created by the Dean of Students belong to Purdue University.
In 1974, Purdue consolidated the roles of Dean of Women and Dean of Men into the Office of the Dean of Students, with Beverley Stone serving as the first Dean of Students. Barbara Cook took over as Dean of Students in 1980 and served until 1987. Betty Nelson served as Dean of Students 1987 – 1995. Tony Hawkins served as Dean of Students 1995 - 2011. The duties of the Dean of Students during this time included providing personal and academic counseling, disciplinary action, administrating student organizations, providing testing services, student housing services and other services related to student well-being.
7.52 Gigabytes : 13 audio files
5.038 Cubic Feet (Eleven full width letter size manuscript boxes, one cubic foot box)
Annual Reports, Date File Correspondence, and other documents created by the Office of the Dean of Students.
The Dean of Student records is arranged into six series based on fuction:
- Annual Reports
- Date Files
- Office Organization and Procedures
- Scholarship and Fellowship Information
- Miscellaneous Material
- Dean of Women and Dean of Students Slide Collections
Physical Access Information
Digital content is found in Series 6. These records have been processed and access to digital materials is available on-site in the reading room. Requests to access digital materials must be made at least 2 days in advance. Once request has been made, please confirm viewing arrangements with archives staff.
The bulk of these records were created by Beverley Stone and Barbara Cook while serving as Deans of Women at Purdue University. They passed from Barbara Cook to Betty Nelson and Sally Watlington, who then donated them to Purdue University Karnes Archives and Special Collections, along with other personal papers of Barbara Cook.
Donated by Betty Nelson and Sally Watlington, April 23, 2008. Addition received on July 19, 2013 from Betty Nelson and Sally Watlington who reviewed the Mortar Board records (accession 20130614) and set aside several groups of slides that more reasonable belong in UA 29 Dean of Students records. Some of these slides were in plastic slide projector carousels and appeared to be completed slide shows, while the rest of the slides were loosely organized into small boxes and were apparently extra images that were never inserted into the slide shows. All of these slides have been rehoused in archival quality sleeves and acid-free folders. These slides are now described below as Series 6, along with several cassette tapes that accompanied the slide shows. Addition of one small box of slides labeled ODOS staff was donated by Angie Klink on February 16, 2016. Slides were placed in archival quality sleeves and folder and added to series 6. Audiocassettes were transferred to digital format for preservation and access purposes in 2016.
Materials were rehoused in acid-free enclosures. Audiocassettes were digitized by an external contractor and files have been transferred to an archives server for preservation and access purposes. Digitized materials were processed by Katey Watson in 2020.
- Annual reports
- Cook, Barbara I. (Barbara Ivy), 1929-2013
- Purdue University. Dean of Students.
- Stone, M. Beverley (Marguerite Beverley), 1916-2003
- Student activities -- Indiana -- West Lafayette
- Universities and colleges -- United States -- Administration
- Women college administrators -- United States
- Dean of Students records
- Under Revision
- Katey Watson. First edition completed by Jonnie McConnell.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- Second edition. First edition completed August 8, 2015.
- 2020-02-20: Updated to align with ArchivesSpace standards. Digital content was described.
- 2015-11-01: Collection identifier was changed to UA 29 in November 2015 to reflect the new identification system for all University Archives that was established in 2015. (The old identifier was UA 12.05.02.) The collection contents, finding aid, and archon record were edited to reflect this change.