Michael Golden Engineering Laboratories and Shops (West Lafayette, Ind.)
- Existence: 1910-
The Michael Golden Engineering Laboratories and Shops, originally the Practical Mechanics Building, was constructed in 1910. It housed the Department of Practical Mechanics and contained both the Michael Golden Engineering Laboratories and Shops and Michael Golden Hall. The building provided instructional facilities for mechanical drawing, descriptive geometry, and shop work. The focus of instruction was to provide engineers with problems faced in industry, and provide a practical outlet for application of the theoretical knowledge they had gained from traditional classroom instruction. In 1920 the building was renamed and referred to as two separate buildings (the Michael Golden Engineering Laboratories and Shops and Michael Golden Hall). The eastern part of the building, otherwise known as Michael Golden Hall, was removed in 1982 to make room for Maurice G. Knoy Hall Of Technology. The remaining portion of the building were remodeled and still stand today.
CitationMichael Golden Engineering Laboratories and Shops. Purdue Campus Facilities and Buildings Historic Database. Access September 16, 2019. http://collections.lib.purdue.edu/campus/buildings/246
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Collection — Box: Communal Collections 60, Placement: 07
Identifier: UA 119
Scope and Contents The Michael Golden Shops records contain invitations and pamphlets from the building dedication as well as an information pamphlet describing the building and the classes offered by the Department of Practical Mechanics.
Dates: 1910 - 1921