Purdue University Theatre records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 102
Scope and Contents
The Purdue University Theatre records contains playbills, posters, and photos from the Purdue Theatre and other student theatre productions. The collection also contains programs from Convocations.
- 1895 - 2013
Languages of Materials
Collection material is in English.
This collection is open for research.
Copyright and Use Information
Copyright restrictions may apply.
Theatre at Purdue began very early in the school's history with the Harlequin Club, the Little Theatre Players, and the English Department Players. It wasn't until 1929, with the inception of the Purdue Playshop, that theatre became an official extracurricular activity at Purdue. In 1956, theatre was recognized as a curricular activity under the Speech Department and, a few years later, was renamed Purdue University Theatre. Experimental Theatre began in 1939 to preview prospective Playshop performances to a select audience. Purdue Summer Theatre began in 1960 and was later renamed the Purdue Professional Theatre Company. An MFA in Theatre was developed in 1976.
2.20 Cubic Feet (1 cubic foot box and 1 flat box)
Technical Access Information
Films must be migrated to digital format before use. Contact Purdue University Archives and Special Collections if interested in using this material.
Media items and some playbills were donated by Lori Sparger at an unknown date. Some playbills from the 1960s were donated by Pamela White (representing the estate of Patricia Murphy) in 2016. Convocation and Purdue Playshop playbills were anonymously donated made in 1999.
Materials related to Purdue Theatre were removed from the Liberal Arts records and consolidated with Purdue University Theatre programs to form the Purdue University Theatre records.
- Purdue University Theatre records
- In Progress
- Sarah Kenny
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Edition statement
- First edition.