Scope and Contents
The College of Agriculture, Department of Forestry & Natural Resources, records (Circa 1910s-1998; 2.0 cubic feet) documents the history, administration, and activities of the Department of Forestry & Natural Resources, known before 1974 as the Department of Forestry and Conservation, and before 1939 as the Department of Forestry. The collection consists largely of correspondence (1942-1950) and lantern slides (1910s-1940s).
Other: Date acquired: 03/08/2008
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright and Use Information
Some material in this collection are in the public domain, while other material copyrights are held by Purdue University. Consult with Purdue University Archives and Special Collections prior to reproduction of materials.
The origin of the Department of Forestry and Natural Resources stretches back to 1905 with two Forestry courses in Biology taught by Professor Stanley Coulter. The following year, Professors Coulter and W.K. Hatt established two additional courses, Technical Forestry and Forest Utilization. By 1914, there were eleven “forestry” courses listed in the Purdue catalogue. Official departmental organization came in 1926, when forestry courses were transferred from the School of Science to the School of Agriculture and designated the Department of Forestry. Burr Prentice served as the department’s first head. The department’s name was changed to Forestry and Conservation in 1939 and Department of Forestry and Natural Resources in 1974. The forestry program began offering Master’s degrees in forest production, forest economics, forest management, forest mensuration, silviculture, wildlife, and wood technology in 1944 and a Ph.D. in 1960. Forestry and Natural Resources enjoyed its highest undergraduate enrollment in 1977, with 666 students enrolled. Graduate enrollment peaked at 81 students in 1995.
Note written by John Michael Foster
2.00 Cubic Feet
2 mss. boxes, 6 lantern slide boxes other_unmapped