Henry C. Balcom collection
Collection — Box: Communal Collections 59, Placement: 03
Identifier: MSA 325
Scope and Contents
The Henry C. Balcom collection documents the student life of Henry C. Balcom, mostly as a Purdue University freshman in 1905. The collection includes several photographs and clippings related to the 1905 Tank Scrap and Chain Gang, as well as various campus scenes and buildings. Also included are two newspaper clippings detailing controversies surrounding University President Winthrop Stone's wife Victoria. The collection also contains one later photograph of Balcom from 1946.
- 1905 - 1946
- Majority of material found within 1905 - 1909
- Other: Date acquired: 07/08/2014
Collection is open for research.
Henry C. Balcom attended Purdue University from 1905 to 1907 as a student in the School of Agriculture. Balcom left Purdue after his second year and finished his degree at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1910. After his graduation, Balcom moved back to Indiana and worked as both a botanist and a high school teacher (Botany) in Kokomo, Indiana. Balcom was engaged in various community organizations, including the YMCA where he taught an adult night class on Practical Gardening, and the Kokomo Archery Club where he served as the Secretary/Treasurer.
0.075 Cubic Feet (Three flat folders)
Language of Materials
Photographs and newspaper clippings documenting Henry C. Balcom's time as a Purdue student circa 1905.
The collection is arranged by type into three folders: Postcards, 1905-1909, Mounted Photos, ca. 1905-1946, and Scrapbook Pages, ca. 1905.
Provenance is undocumented.
- Henry C. Balcom collection
- In Progress
- Neal Harmeyer and Keertana Marella
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- Third Edition. Second edition completed on 2017-01-06. Date of first collection description undocumented.
- 2017-01-26: Updated collection title from H. C. Balcom scrapbook to Henry C. Balcom collection, by Neal Harmeyer.
- 2020-04-27: Collection description updated by Keertana Marella