Purdue University School of Aeronautics and Astronautics brochure
Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: UA 46
Scope and Contents
The Purdue University School of Aeronautics brochure (circa 1950s; 1 item) includes photographs of the Purdue Airport and laboratories, Aeronautical Engineering and Air Transportation curricula, outlines and descriptions.
- circa 1950s
- Other: Date acquired: 11/09/2012
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright and Use Information
Some material in this collection are in the public domain, while other material copyrights are held by Purdue University. Consult with Purdue University Archives and Special Collections prior to reproduction of materials.
The School of Aeronautics was well stabilized by 1950, following a five-year growth from the time it was formed in July 1945. By this time the entire operation of the School was located at the Purdue University airport in two large buildings, with separate programs offered in aeronautical engineering and in air transportation. Elmer F. Bruhn, who had been head of the School since its beginning, decided in 1949 to return to teaching and research rather than continue in administration.A search was immediately begun for a new head. By midsummer of 1950 Dean Andrey A. Potter announced the appointment of Dr. Milton U. Clauser as the new head of the School effective September 1, 1950.The school initially offered Bachelor of Sciencedegrees in both aeronautical engineering and the new field of air transportation, with the first Masters degrees awarded in 1947, and the first PhD granted in 1950.Both programs were quite popular following World War II, as returning veterans brought total undergraduate enrollment to 736students in 1947. Although the air transportation program was initially well accepted, and graduates received good positions in industry, enrollments declined, and the air transportation degree was discontinued in 1955.The School merged with the Division of Engineering Science in 1960, and changed its name to the School of Aeronautical and Engineering Sciences.This joint program continued until the engineering sciences effort was ended in 1972.The present name of the School of Aeronautics and Astronautics was adopted in 1973.
The Purdue University School of Aeronautics brochure includes photographs of the Purdue Airport and laboratories, along with an Aeronautical Engineering curriculum outline and description and an Air Transportation curriculum outline and description.
Donated to School of Aeronautics and Astronautics by Lyle E. Genens, September 10, 2012.
Transferred to Karnes Archives and Special Collections, Purdue University Libraries by Aero Development Director, Rita Baines on September 11, 2012.
The brochure hasbeen housed in anacid-free folder, and acid-free box.
- Purdue University School of Aeronautics and Astronautics brochure
- In Progress
- Mary A. Sego
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- Second edition