Arvill W. Bitting Collection on World Expositions and Fairs
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSF 531
The Arvill W. Bitting Collection on World Expositions and Fairs includes promotional materials, publications, and notes related to World Fairs. The books in this collection include both contemporary accounts and official reports as well as guides published for the Expositions themselves. The majority of material is on the 1933 Century of Progress World Fair held in Chicago, where Bitting worked as director of food exhibits. Other materials of note includes articles and photos from the Golden Gate International Exposition in 1939 and a thirty-volume artbook from the Chicago World's Fair in 1893.
- 1876 - 1948
Languages of Materials
This collection is in English.
This collection is open for research.
Copyright and Use Information
Copyright restrictions may apply.
3.00 Cubic Feet (3 full-width letter size manuscript boxes, 1 half-width letter size manuscript box, and 3 flat boxes.)
Arvill Wayne Bitting was born in 1870 in Tippecanoe County, Indiana. He graduated from Purdue University in 1891 with a B.S. in Agriculture. Subsequently he received a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from Iowa State College (1895) and an M.D. from the Medical College of Indiana University (1900). He worked as a food technologist with the U.S. Bureau of Chemistry and with the Subsistence Division of the War Department during World War I. During his travels and professional career, Dr. Bitting became fascinated by the various World Expositions and Fairs, and he began collecting books and materials documenting various Expositions. Bitting was also the director of food exhibits for Chicago's Century of Progress Exposition from 1931 to 1933 and the Golden Gate International Exposition in 1937.
This collection is arranged chronologically by fair.
The exact date and source of acquisition are unknown.
This collection was organized by topic and rehoused in archival boxes and folders.
- Centennial Exhibition (1876 : Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Century of Progress International Exposition (1933-1934 : Chicago, Ill.)
- Chicago Railroad Fair (1948-1949)
- Cotton States Exposition (1895 : Atlanta, Ga)
- Golden Gate International Exposition (1939-1940 : San Francisco, Calif.)
- Magazines (Periodicals)
- New York World's Fair (1939-1940 : New York, N.Y.)
- Panama-Pacific International Exposition (1915 : San Francisco, Calif.)
- Purdue University--Alumni and alumnae
- World's Columbian Exposition (1893 : Chicago, Ill.)
- Arvill W. Bitting Collection on World Expositions and Fairs
- Under Review
- Sarah Kenny
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Edition statement
- Second edition.
- 2018-11-16: Title and collection identifier updated from worfab0 to MSF 531 by Adriana Harmeyer.
- 2019-02-22: Collection rehoused in archival folders and boxes and organized by fair. Materials that Bitting collected on glass making from the US patent office were added to his personal papers by Sarah Kenny.