LGBTQ Center records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 162
Scope and Contents
The LGBTQ Center records (1973-2018) document the history and activities of the center since its foundation in 2012. As one of six Cultural and Resource Centers at Purdue, the collection contains materials from related relevant events co-sponsored by the center or attended by staff and LGBTQ community members. Some materials prior to the foundation of the Center relating to LGBTQ-related student organizations are also included in the collection. Of particular interest might be the documentation of creating LGBTQ courses and establishing a LGBTQ studies minor as well as the various 2015 drafted reports on racist incidents on campus, students’ intercultural knowledge and competence, and Safe Zone data. Another highlight of the collection is the 2016 Banner of Hope, as it reflects concerns and thoughts of a vulnerable student population in the aftermath of the 2016 presidential election. The collection was transferred by the LGBTQ Center in 2013 and 2017. The collection may be useful for researchers interested in diversity and inclusion events and activism in and around Purdue University in the twenty-first century. Types of materials include: correspondence, printed materials (flyers, brochures, posters), photographs, artifacts (water bottles, t-shirts, spring coil), plaques, newspaper clippings, digital videos.
- 1973 - 2018
- Majority of material found within 2012 - 2016
The collection is open for research.
Copyright and Use Information
Some material in this collection are in the public domain, while other material copyrights are held by Purdue University. Consult with Purdue University Archives and Special Collections prior to reproduction of materials.
The foundation of a LGBTQ Center was one of the recommendations for the Purdue University Strategic Plan (2008-2013). Consequently, the LGBTQ Center was created in 2012 and opened its doors on July 16th. Since then, it has been providing a wide range of programs and events pertaining to LGBTQ issues and the LGBTQ community to Purdue’s campus and the greater Lafayette community. Among the various recurring events that create a visibly supportive environment for allies and members of the LGBTQ community, the Safe Zone training has had the biggest impact, informing and educating faculty, staff, and students all across campus about the distinct needs and concerns of LGBTQ community. The Center houses an extensive library on LGBTQ-related resources and a collection of artwork and artifacts that tell the history of the LGBTQ community on and beyond Purdue’s campus. Academically, the Center has been supporting the LGBTQ Studies Minor since 2014 with a team-taught six-week Study Abroad course which explores LGBTQ history and culture throughout the last three centuries.
5.5 Cubic Feet (2 cubic foot boxes, 2 flat boxes, 1 record box, 1 manuscript box, 1 poster roll storage box, 1 over-sized folder in communal box.)
3.76 Gigabytes : 9 digital video files
Language of Materials
Clippings, brochures, correspondence documenting activities and events organized, sponsored, and attended by the LGBTQ Center and the LGBTQ community.
The Records are organized into three series:
- LGBTQ Center administrative materials, 2008 - 2018. This series consists of administrative materials pertaining to the creation of the center, LGBTQ studies courses, and programs sponsored and organized by the LGBTQ Center. Of particular interest might be the materials documenting the creation of a LGBTQ studies minor and the reports regarding various aspects of the campus climate. Another highlight in this series might be the transcript of an interview conducted with Lowell Kane, first inaugural director of the center, in 2015, in which he reflects on his campus experiences in this transitional moment for Purdue. Materials in the series are arranged topically and chronologically.
- LGBTQ Center event materials, 2012 - 2018. This series is organized into two subseries. The first subseries, Conferences and Symposia, consists of booklets, papers, and programs pertaining to various LGBTQ-focused and Higher Education conferences and symposia. The second sub-series, Campus and Greater Lafayette Area events, consists of brochures, flyers, posters, newspaper clippings, and digital videos related to diversity/inclusion events on Purdue’s campus and in the greater Lafayette area. Both subseries are arranged chronologically.
- LGBTQ Center artifacts, 2012 - 2017. This series consists of materials gathered and created by the LGBTQ Center community. Artifacts include t-shirts, water bottles, buttons, conference bags, and rainbow coil springs.
Born-digital content is found in Series 2 LGBTQ Center event materials. These records have been processed and digital use copies can only be accessed onsite in the Karnes Archives and Special Collections Research Center. Please request digital records prior to arriving at the Research Center.
Records were transferred by the LGBTQ Center via Lowell Kane, January 25, 2013 and December 20, 2013, and via Amy Whitlow, August 18, 2017 and June 6, 2018. The digital files were transferred on DVDs and were imaged on May 4, 2018 to create master preservation copies and to extract the content files.
All materials have been housed in polyester sleeves, acid-free folders, and acid free boxes. All newsprint has been photocopied and clippings have been preserved for display purposes, with photocopies made available for research. Digital media has been processed and files have been transferred to an archives server for access and preservation.
- LGBTQ Center records
- Jennifer Sdunzik, Adelle Rogers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- Second edition. Collection description was first completed 2018-04-10.
- Box: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 3 (Text)
- Box: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 6 (Realia)
- Digital Folder: UA00162 - LGBTQ Resource Center records (Digital Files)
- Box: Communal Digital Media 1, Placement: 14 (Computer Disks)
- Box: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: Communal Collections 67, Placement: 1 (Mixed Materials)