Purdue University College of Science records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 61
Scope and Contents
The College of Science records (1886-2009, 4.75 cf) document the history of the College of Science. Much of the collection is made up of items published either by the college itself, by its departments, or by its faculty. These include brochures and catalogs of the college, research reports, and newsletters concerning college activities. There are also materials that originated from specific departments within the College of Science including department newsletters and event programs. Please see the finding aid for a complete inventory.
- 1886 - 2009
- Purdue University. College of Science (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in English.
This collection is open for research
Copyright and Use Information
Some material in this collection are in the public domain, while other material copyrights are held by Purdue University. Consult with Purdue University Archives and Special Collections prior to reproduction of materials.
The School of Science of Purdue University was founded in 1907 with Stanley Coulter as its founding dean. By 1922, it was already the second largest school on the Purdue Campus, with only the School of Mechanical Engineering boasting a higher enrollment number. Throughout the mid-twentieth century, the school grew to include the departments of Biology, Chemistry, ComputerScience, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Mathematics, Physics, and Statistics, several of which now occupy their own buildings on campus. In 2004, the School of Science was renamed the College of Science along with most of Purdue’s other schools.
4.75 Cubic Feet
Publications, newsletters, and other materials documenting the history and activities of Purdue University’s College of Science.
The bulk of these materials were collected by the libraries prior to the establishment of the Virginia Karnes Archives and Special Collections. The large portraits were transferred to the Archives on June 23, 2009. The oversized photos in Box 10 were transferred from the College of Science in 2009
Accruals and Additions
The bulk of these materials were collected by the libraries prior to the establishment of the Virginia Karnes Archives and Special Collections. The large portraits were transferred from 20090623 to UA 61 in January 2017.
The bulk of these materials were collected for the library’s stacks prior to the creation of Purdue’s Archives and Special Collections. Whenever possible, original order of the materials as collected has been retained. All materials have been housed inacid-free folders and acid-free boxes.
- Purdue University College of Science records
- In Progress
- Trevor Burrows
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- Second edition