Skip to main content

College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural & Biological Engineering records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 13

Scope and Contents

The College of Agriculture, Administration of the College of Agriculture, Records consists of correspondence relating to the history, administration, and work of the Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering (ABE), a bound book consisted of numerous issues of the "Agricultural and Biological Enginnering Newsletter", and photographs of previous experiments, faculty, students, and Distinguished Industrial Lecture guest speakers.


  • 1940-1950

Language of Materials

Collection materials are in English.

Access Information

Collection is open for research.

Copyright and Use Information

Some material in this collection are in the public domain, while other material copyrights are held by Purdue University. Consult with Purdue University Archives and Special Collections prior to reproduction of materials.

Historical Information

Courses associated with Agricultural Engineering (including Farm Equipment, Farm Roads, and Farm Drainage, and after 1905, Farm Mechanics) were among the earliest taught by the College of Agriculture.  Agricultural Engineering became particularly important during the early years of Purdue University due to the increasing impact of industrialization on American agriculture. “Other departments had their vital work and made their contributions, but none other was so specifically and closely involved with the agricultural transformations that occurred,” Purdue Engineering historian H.B. Knoll explained.  Professor William Aitkenhead, who taught at Purdue from 1914 to 1943, played an important role in this transformation.  New curriculum under Aitkenhead’s successor, Dr. Henry J. Barre, fully and successfully mixed courses in agriculture and engineering in joint offerings by the School of Engineering and College of Agriculture.  Agricultural Engineering offered its first M.S. in 1953 and first PhD in 1959.  The program grew from four undergraduate courses in 1921 to sixteen undergraduate, six graduate, and eleven mixed courses by 1960.

Note written by John Michael Foster


5.309 Cubic Feet (Four letter-size full-width manuscript boxes, one letter-size half-width manuscript box, one shoe box, one cubic foot box, and two flat boxes)

Arrangement Note

Materials in this collection are organized into three series by material type and largely arranged chronologically and by document type, as well as size in the photographs series.

Acquisition Information

Records transferred from the College of Agriculture.

Related Materials

College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering. Agricultural Safety and Health -- Breaking New Ground Resource Center/Ag, 1982-2012

Knoll, H.B. The Story of Purdue Engineering (West Lafayette, Ind.: Purdue University Studies, 1963)

Processing Information

All materials are housed in acid-free boxes.
College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural & Biological Engineering, records
In Progress
John Michael Foster
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Edition statement
Third edition.

Revision Statements

  • 2015-10-27: Collection identifier updated from UA 14.02 to UA 13.
  • 2020-05-04: Collection description updated by Adelle Rogers.
  • 2022-11-28: Accession 20180427 were added to the collection by Emily Jones. Scopes and contents reflect these additions.
  • 2024-02-08: Extents updated by William Niner

Repository Details

Part of the Purdue University Archives and Special Collections Repository

504 Mitch Daniels Boulevard
West Lafayette Indiana 47907 United States