Cary Quadrangle Residence Hall records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 73
Scope and Contents
The Cary Quadrangle Residence Hall Records collection consists of records from or dealing with in some capacity the Men’s Residence Cary Quadrangle Residence Hall. The collection consists of photos, event and club materials, proposed and executed budgets, residence directories, maps of the dorm and rooms, correspondence, residence hall pamphlets, newspaper articles, administration documentation, and some oversized objects and artifacts. The items demonstrate the activities that occurred at the residence hall, history of the building, and its continuing legacy. Additionally, the Cary Quadrangle records contain various items that include metal wall nameplates, a University Directory, a certificate, and one copy of the book "Robinson Crusoe" with a handwritten note from President Edward Elliott. Also includes a journal from the student group “Golden Taps” which provided a memorial service for students who died on campus.
- 1939 - 2005
- Purdue University (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Biographical or Historical Information
Purdue’s Residence Halls for Men, known as Franklin Levering Cary Memorial Halls, were first made possible by the generous gifts of Mr. and Mrs. Frank M. Cary, Lafayette, Indiana, in memory of their son, Franklin Levering Cary, who died in 1912 at the age of eighteen years, just before his anticipated entrance into the University. Franklin Masten Cary was born in 1858. He came to Lafayette and eventually became president of the Chicago Refrigerator Car Line Co., and the Bar-B Wire and Iron Works as well. In memory of their son the Cary family donated $50,000 in 1927 to build “Franklin Levering Cary Hall.” The building is now known as Cary East. The University gratefully accepted these gifts so that more students of Purdue University might secure the social and cultural advantages of living in large groups. A large number of students in daily social and recreational contact while enjoying most favorable living conditions are imbued with the right attitude toward human life and human beings, an attitude that is permanently beneficial to each one of them and to the institution. Because of limited accommodations and the method of operation, a number of students leave the Halls each year, so that their influence continues to foster the healthy and vigorous life that always has prevailed among the students of Purdue University. The Franklin Levering Cary Memorial Hall consist of five units accommodating a total of nine hundred and eighty men. Cary Hall East, opened in September, 1929, houses one hundred and fifty-six men in one hundred and twenty-eight single rooms and fourteen double rooms. Cary Hall North, completed and opened for occupancy early in February, 1931, accommodates one hundred and fifteen men in ninety-one single rooms and twelve double rooms. The Northwest Hall, opened in September, 1938, contains eighty-seven single rooms and thirteen double suites. Cary Hall South, the main unit for the Residence Halls for Men, was completed and opened for occupancy in September, 1939. It accommodates four hundred and forty-six men in three hundred and twenty single rooms and sixty-three double rooms and double suites. The Halls are attractive, fireproof buildings of brick and stone built upon a site given to the University by Professor and Mrs. George Spitzer. Next to the northwest corner of the main campus, at the head of the city bus line on University Street, and directly adjacent to the Fieldhouse, the Ross-Ade Stadium, the University Golf Course, and the varsity baseball diamond, and one block from the University tennis courts and the intramural sports field, they are ideally situated for men’s residence halls. Cary Quadrangle was renovated starting in the summer of 2000 with completion in the summer of 2006. The renovation included upgraded electrical, plumbing, heating/ventilation and telecommunication utilities in the living and community spaces in each of the Cary Quadrangle buildings. East, Northeast, West and Northwest buildings had all student rooms converted into air conditioned suites, which included adding bathrooms between every two rooms. The total cost for the Cary renovation was $53.6 million.
Note written by Margaret Sheble
Note written by Margaret Sheble
5.30 Cubic Feet (3 Cubic Foot Boxes 1 Half-Width Legal Size Document Box 1 Full-Width Legal Size Document Box 2 Manuscript Letter Size Boxes 1 Flat Box 1 Oversized Folder Housed in a Communal Box)
The Cary Quadrangle Residence Hall Records collection consists of records from or dealing with in some capacity the Men’s Residence Cary Quadrangle Residence Hall. Items not apparently related to the residence hall were probably kept as a means to compare and contrast Cary Quadrangle to other halls at Purdue and in other states. The collection consists of photos, event and club materials, proposed and executed budgets, residence directories, maps of the dorm and rooms, correspondence, residence hall pamphlets, newspaper articles, administration documentation, and some oversized objects and artifacts. The items demonstrate the activities that occurred at the residence hall, history of the building, and its continuing legacy.
The collection is arranged in the nine following series:
- Events and Activities
- Residence Directories and Maps
- Residence Hall Pamphlets
- Newspaper Articles
- Administration Documentation
- Oversized Objects and Artifacts
Accruals and Additions
20110804.1, 20140827, 20150701, 20160222.1
- Cary Quadrangle Residence Hall Records
- In Progress
- Margaret Sheble & Jon Hathaway
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Edition statement
- Second edition.