Skip to main content

School of Pharmacy and Pharmacal Sciences records, Purdue University

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 53

Scope and Contents

The School of Pharmacy and Pharmacal Sciences Records (1882-1992; 6 Cubic ft.) document the history, growth, and development of the School of Pharmacy and Pharmacal Sciences at Purdue University.

Dates

  • 1882 - 1992
  • Other: Date acquired: 11/30/2004

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection materials are in English.

Access Information

Collection is open for research.

Copyright and Use Information

Some material in this collection are in the public domain, while other material copyrights are held by Purdue University. Consult with Purdue University Archives and Special Collections prior to reproduction of materials.

Historical Information

The idea of developing a school of pharmacy at Purdue University was first brought up in 1883 when Purdue’s President James H. Smart visited the drug store of his friend, Indianapolis pharmacist John Newell Hurty. Hurty pointed outto Smart that it would be in the university’s best interests to add pharmaceutical studies to its curriculum. Smart agreed to bring the idea up before Purdue’s Board of Trustees with the provision that Hurty would head up the school for at least two years. In the fall of 1884, Purdue’s School of Pharmacy opened its doors with an enrollment of seven students. The faculty of four was headed by Hurty, who traveled from Indianapolis one day a week to deliver lectures. In 1888, A.L. Green was officially appointed dean of the school after a two year interim period when Hurty stepped down as the school’s head in 1886. That same year, Hurty was awarded the school’s first doctorate degree in pharmacy. In 1910, Charles B. Jordan was appointed head of the School of Pharmacy. One of his main goals was to provide more space for the growing school which originally shared Building No. 2 with the departments of Chemistry, Physics, Mechanics, and Civil Engineering. In 1894, these departments were moved to a new building and the school of pharmacy became the sole occupant of the building.Bythe 1920s the school had outgrown the agingbuilding and attheurging of Dean Jordan,President Edward C. Elliott went before Indiana’s General Assembly to request funds for a new building. The funding was granted and the new school, which was stocked and furnished by a generous contribution from J.K. Lilly, opened its doors in 1930. Dean Jordan also inaugurated several programs to insure a more complete education of pharmacy students. One of these programs was the nurturing and promotion of graduate studies. In 1925, Anna Florence Shireman became the first pharmacy student to receive a Masters degree. In 1932, Alice Haden became the first woman awarded a Ph.D. degree from Purdue University when she attained her doctorate through the Pharmacy School.Glenn Jenkins became head of the School of Pharmacy in 1941 following the death of Dean Jordan. Jenkins immediately reorganized the graduate program and added departments of instruction for graduate work: pharmacology and pharmacognosy in 1941, bionucleonics in 1947, physical pharmacy in 1956, and pharmacy administration in 1957. In 1950, the first African American male to receive a Ph.D. at Purdue was Phillip V. Hammond, who received a doctorate in pharmacology. Five years later, Dolores Cooper became the first African American woman to receive a Ph.D. at the universitywith a doctorate in pharmacology. In 1960, the curriculum was changed from a minimum four-year course to a minimum five-year course with one year of pre-pharmacy and four years of pharmacy instruction. In 1963, the name of the school was changedfrom School of Pharmacy to School of Pharmacy and Pharmacal Sciencesto indicate the school’s new educational objectives. By the 1960s,Purdue’s School of Pharmacy had become the fifth largest undergraduate and the largest graduate school of pharmacy in the United States. The school was a pioneer in pharmaceutical research, most notably in the area ofbionucleonics, a term which was coined by Purdue’s President Hovde and Dr. John E. Christian. When Jenkins retired in 1966, he left solid research and undergraduate programs as his legacy. His successors have followed his example and Purdue’sSchool of Pharmacyand Pharmacal Sciences continues to be a world wide leader in pharmaceutical education and research. In 1970, the school moved into a new 145,000 square foot facility which was dedicated the Robert E. Heine Pharmacy Building in 1985. From the first day of class in 1884 to the present,the school’s philosophy and curriculum have been based on two basic principles: one, that the students should be educated in the appropriate sciences to become pharmacists who could serve in a professional capacity as pharmacist, researcher, or teacher who would contribute to the protection of the public’s health;and two, in order to achieve these high standards the students would be educated by professional pharmacists and scientists devoted to teaching and research. Purdue’s School of Pharmacy and Pharmacal Sciences continues to evolve and is dedicated to the education of futurepharmacists and researchers.

Extent

6.00 Cubic Feet

Arrangement Note

The records are divided into five series: 1. History and General Information 2. Clippings 3. Photographs 4. Audio and Computer Files 5. Artifacts.

Physical Access Requirements

The collection is stored offsite; 24 hours notice is required to access the collection.

Acquistion Information

Trasfer of records from the Pharmacy Library of Purdue University on November 30, 2004.
Title
School of Pharmacy and Pharmacal Sciences records, Purdue University
Status
In Progress
Author
Joanne Mendes
Date
10/04/2006
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English
Edition statement
Second edition

Repository Details

Part of the Purdue University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
504 W. State Street
West Lafayette Indiana 47907 United States
765-494-2839