- Existence: August 15, 1828 - November 18, 1893
Amos Heavilon was a businessman and Purdue benefactor who provided funding for the creation of the Mechanical Engineering building (1894; rebuilt in 1895), later known as Heavilon Hall. Born in Butler County, Ohio, his family moved to Frankfurt, Indiana, when he two years old. Mr. Heavilon never married and devoted most of his time to managing his investments. During a visit to Purdue in 1892 he noted the overcrowded conditions of the Purdue station and vowed to help alleviate these conditions. His contribution of $35,000 was second only to John Purdue's.
CitationIn Memoriam. Purdue University Exponent, Volume 5, Number 5. December 12, 1893.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MSP 290
Scope and Contents The Amos Heavilon diary documents one year in the later stages of the life of Amos Heavilon, Clinton county farmer and businessman. This collection includes personal records, photocopies and a typed transcript of the diary. Also included is a typed, biographical sketch of Mr. Heavilon and his family. Insight into the living conditions of the 1890's is revealed and illustrates that not all were as successful and fortunate as Mr. Heavilon.
Dates: 1892 - 1999; Majority of material found within August 15, 1892 - August 15, 1893