Chippewa Dormitories (West Lafayette, Ind.)
- Existence: 1947 - 1958
The Chippewa Dormitories were temporary residence facilities that were built to meet the growing need of the university after World War II. Female enrollment largely increased between 1944-1945 leading to overcrowding at the university. After the war, many students were also now married and wanted to live with their families. This made grouping of students into dormitories more difficult and increased the need for apartments at the university. The Federal Public Housing Authority (FPHA) agreed to provide 180 buildings to accommodate both married and single students. These buildings were 20 by 100 feet and were built at a cost of approximately $350,000. This provided sanitary, power, and water facilities for these dormitory accommodations. These dwellings were located on University farm land on the south side of State Road 26 including both sides of Airport Road, the wooded area west of the Poultry Building, and on the intramural field.