Purdue University Senate
- Existence: 1964-
The Meeting of the Faculty, or simply as the faculty meetings, began in 1874, the same year that classes began. As the name suggests, early faculty meetings were regular meetings, open to all faculty members, where faculty discussed Purdue’s curriculum, student and administrative affairs, and other issues. These discussions and the proposals that came from them helped to guide Purdue’s presidents in their decision-making. As the university grew dramatically during and after World War II, the organizational structure of the faculty meetings, as well as their complicated relationship with the Executive Council and campus decision-making processes, were deemed unruly and inefficient. After several years of study, the University Senate was formed in 1964. The Senate was a fully legislative and representative body that replaced the Meeting of the Faculty. In the new Senate, faculty members were represented by school, regional campuses were given representation, and the President also appointed several seats to represent his office and the administration.
CitationUA 8, Purdue University Faculty and Senate records, Purdue University Archives and Special Collections, Purdue University Libraries.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Purdue University Faculty and Senate records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 8
Abstract This collection documents the activities of Purdue University’s Faculty Meeting, University Senate, and Executive Council, as well as the work of the office of the Secretary of the Faculty. Documentation pertaining to Purdue’s regional campus governance and various administrative and faculty committees is also present.
Dates: 1874 - 2019
Purdue University Executive Memoranda, Academic Procedures, and Business Procedures records
Unprocessed — Box: 1
Dates: 1922 - 1986