U.S. Experiment Station (West Lafayette, Ind.)
- Existence: 1880 - 1907
The U.S Experiment Station was the first Agricultural Experiment Station built on the West Lafayette Campus. It was a two-story brick structure with a glass vegetation house and green-houses. The station was equipped with laboratories and housed reports and technical documents for the School of Agriculture. The lower floor contained an office where meteorological instruments were kept, an agricultural museum, a seed room, and a tool room. The second floor contained a class room, dissecting room, and room for the assistant in charge of the building and instruments. The rear portion of the building was a large 56 by 24 feet store room that was divided into small compartments for the storage of experimental plat products.
CitationU.S Experiment Station. Purdue Campus Facilities and Buildings Historic Database. Access September 13, 2019. http://collections.lib.purdue.edu/campus/buildings/239
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MSA 262
Scope and Contents The William Chester Halstead photographs document Purdue University, students, faculty, and staff during the 1890s, featuring buildings, student groups, such as the cyclists, drum corps, and artillery. Photographs of note include the burned-out structure of Heavilon Hall and President Smart in his office. The collection also documents the Lafayette area.
Dates: circa 1890s