Boiler and Gas House (West Lafayette, Ind.)
- Existence: 1874 - 1904
The Boiler and Gas House, also referred to as the Engine House, was built to generate steam, gas, and water for the surrounding buildings. The building contained an engine, large steam boilers, and force-pump which provided heating and lighting to nearby buildings. On July 16, 1877, a fire occurred in the Boiler and Gas House and the building was repaired for $750. The building was torn down in 1904 and replaced with the new Power Plant that was built next to the Electrical Engineering Building.
CitationBoiler and Gas House. Purdue Campus Facilities and Buildings Historic Database. Access September 13, 2019. http://collections.lib.purdue.edu/campus/buildings/310
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MSA 262
Scope and Contents The William Chester Halstead photographs document Purdue University, students, faculty, and staff during the 1890s, featuring buildings, student groups, such as the cyclists, drum corps, and artillery. Photographs of note include the burned-out structure of Heavilon Hall and President Smart in his office. The collection also documents the Lafayette area.
Dates: circa 1890s