Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Phi Kappa Phi. Purdue University Chapter

 Organization

Historical Information

In 1897 at the University of Maine, ten senior students, two faculty members, and the school president created an honor society that was different from the few others then in existence-one that recognized and honored excellence in all academic disciplines.

Under the leadership of undergraduate student Marcus L. Urann, the group formed the Lambda Sigma Eta Society, which was later renamed Phi Kappa Phi from the initial letters of the Greek words forming its adopted motto: Let the love of learning rule humanity.

Phi Kappa Phi's mission is To recognize and promote academic excellence in all fields of higher education and to engage the community of scholars in service to others.

The Purdue University chapter was established April 26, 1971. The charter is signed by J. Kenneth Munford, president and Lawrence R. Guild, secretary, along with twenty-five installing delegates. The Purdue chapter is chapter 125.

Citation

Information taken from the charter itself.

Other information retrieved January 14, 2010 from: http://www.phikappaphi.org/web

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi charter

 Collection — Box: Framed item
Identifier: MSP 41
Scope and Contents The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi charter documents the establishment of a chapter at Purdue University in 1971. The charter itself is 13 x 17.5 inches, with the mat and frame, it measures 21 x 25 inches.
Dates: 1971